Bylines & Author Bios
When a user logs in to WordPress, their name is by default the byline (author) of any content they create. However, there are options in the article interface to change the byline and add multiple bylines if necessary. Each byline appears on the website as a link to the author’s archive, which can include an Author Bio if created.
Editing The Byline Of An Article
Before you begin: If you do not see the Author Box in your article editing screen, go to the top right and expand the Screen Options interface, then select the option to display “Author.”
- To change the byline of an article, go the Author Box in the article interface and use the dropdown to select another author
- To add additional authors, hover over the right side of the author dropdown and select the (+) sign. This will add a new row, with a dropdown to select another author. Repeat as needed to add more authors.
If you want to add an author who does not exist in WordPress yet, you will need to go to Users > Add New and create a new user for that author.
How The Byline Displays To Website Visitors
In The Article
The byline displays under the title and subtitle. The authors’ names will appear in the order defined in the article interface. Each author’s name will link to an archive of their content. If the author also has an Author Bio, the archive will include the author’s bio above the archive of their content.
The author’s archive will include content where they are the sole author or one of multiple authors.
In Content Lists
If the Content List has the “Author” option turned on, the author will display as defined in the Content List Template. Each author’s name will link to an archive of their content. If the author also has an Author Bio, the archive will include the author’s bio above the archive of their content.
How To Edit Or Update An Author Bio
If your author has an Author Bio, or if you are creating a new author and would like to set up an Author Bio:
- Go to Author Bios > Add New
- In pulldown menu, assign the WordPress User Name of the author to the Author Bio object
- Fill in the biographical information and add social media links as needed
- Publish the Author Bio object
To understand how the Author Bio is displayed, review Author Bio Templates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can the author names include titles such as “Photographer, John Morris”?
If the author needs any additional text in the byline other than a first and last name, create a nickname after the user is saved.